Michael E. Simmons
Phone: (317) 632-4402
Fax: (317) 632-5595
Mike now concentrates his practice upon securing compensation and fair recovery for individuals injured in automobile collisions, premises incidents including slip and falls, dram shop (liquor liability), trucking accidents, wrongful death and medical malpractice. Mike is also a mediator certified by the State of Indiana since 1992, and has served as an arbitrator chosen by his peers to resolve disputes outside the courtroom forum. Mike has been involved in nearly 100 jury trials taken to verdict in the State of Indiana, as well as in Federal Courts in Tennessee and Virginia, and litigation in New Jersey. Mike has presented briefs and/or oral arguments in the Indiana Court of Appeals, the Indiana Supreme Court, the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, the United States Supreme Court, the United States Federal Court for the Northern District of Indiana and the United States Federal Court for the Southern District of Indiana.
- Personal Injury
- Dram Shop (liquor liability)
- Motor Vehicle Collisions
- Trucking Incidents
- Slip and Falls
- Premises Liability
- Wrongful Death
- Medical Malpractice
- Insurance Bad Faith Claims
- Federal Employers’ Liability Act (FELA) Injuries
- June, 2021: Mike obtained a $1,500.000.00 jury verdict and judgment for his client in an Indiana State Court case involving a collision with a tractor-trailer unit.
- June, 2021: Mike was a referring counsel in a $3,300.000.00 settlement obtained for the widow of a worker injured in a fall from a crane hoist.
- June, 2021: Mike received a $1,500,000.00 settlement for his client injured by a drunk driver in a motor vehicle collision.
- July, 2021: Mike secured a $300,000.00 settlement on behalf of his client injured in a shooting incident occurring while visiting a residential premises.
- December, 2017: Mike won a $30,000,000.00 jury verdict on behalf of his client injured in a motor vehicle collision caused by a drunk driver.
- July, 2017: Mike negotiated a settlement of $11,500,000.00 on behalf of his client injured in a work-place explosion incident.
- May, 2013: Mike obtained a jury verdict of $3,050,000.00 for a client injured in a slip and fall occurrence at a truck stop.
- Indiana University School of Law, J.D., Magna Cum Laude, Indianapolis, Indiana 1979
- Indiana University, Bachelor of Science Degree, Accounting and Business Management, Bloomington, Indiana 1976
- State of Indiana, 1979
- United States District Court, Southern District of Indiana, 1979
- United States District Court, Northern District of Indiana, 1979
- United States Supreme Court, 1989
Presentations and Publications:
- Voir Dire – A Perspective On Jury Selection Strategies And Procedures Without An Expert
- Soft Tissue Case Evaluation
- Dealing With Claims Of Pain
- The Wrongful Death Claims Of A Deceased, Divorced and Non-Married Adult
- Uninsured And Underinsured Motorist Claims
- Pre-Trial Investigation And Discovery Plans
- Indiana Medical Malpractice Procedures And Pitfalls
Honors and Awards:
- American Institute of Trial Lawyers, Litigator of the Year, 2019
- National Trial Lawyers, Top 100 Trial Lawyers, 2013-2019
- American Trial Lawyers Association, Top 100 Trial Lawyers, 2007-2013
- America’s Top 100 Civil Defense Litigators, 2018
- Best Lawyers in America, 2015
- Super Lawyer, 2006-2021
- Martindale-Hubbell Highest Ratings, “AV” and “Preeminent”, 1991-2021
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Indiana Trial Lawyers Association